Don’t Lose Saleable Returns to Negative Verifications

By May 14, 2019 June 11th, 2019 DSCSA, Industry Insight, Uncategorized, VRS

The DSCSA’s November deadline for verifying saleable returns will add complexity and cost to any wholesale distributor’s business operations. On average, 2 percent of a distributor’s returns are  expired products, while the remaining 98 percent consist of saleable drugs. Both distributors and manufacturers are eager to tackle the challenges of getting those saleable returns back in inventory to be resold.

Negative VRS scans lose sales

The quality of many serial 2D barcodes is far from perfect.

Too Many Negative Verifications

The process of verifying saleable returns is straight forward. A serialized product is scanned, the VRS returns a verification response, and the distributor and the manufacturer live happily ever after.

In theory.

The reality is that when a serialized product is scanned, the likelihood that the VRS will return a negative response is very high. Why? Because the quality of many serial 2D barcodes are far from perfect. The GS1 2018 barcode study discovered that only 6.6 percent of 2D barcodes with all four data elements could be correctly read – meaning 93.4 percent of the verifications conducted were negative.

As in, “Ineligible for resale.”

Don’t Lose Saleable Returns to Negative Verifications

That’s a lot of lost sales.

LSPediA conducted our own sampling in a recent total warehouse survey and found a big improvement – 66 percent of the GS1-compliant barcodes successfully scanned. But that still leaves a lot of saleable products that would be rejected instead of going back out for sale.

Let LSPediA Manage Your Negative Exceptions

Distributors will need to investigate any products that they can’t verify. They’ll be forced to either spend the time and money to manually verify those returns or send perfectly good, saleable products to the morgue.

That’s not a problem for LSPediA’s VRS customers. They’re using our robust VRS Web portal that enables exceptions management – a process that automatically engages suppliers to verify negative responses. In addition, the portal is built with an intuitive user interface and automated workflow to make that daunting task easy, efficient, and manageable, providing turnkey DSCSA compliance.

Our VRS is EPCIS and VRS Agnostic

LSPediA’s VRS solution is built with the highest level of interoperability. We’ve tested and integrated our VRS with a dozen ERP and EPCIS systems. In addition, our LSPediA Notifier® functionality complements other VRS systems – a native capability designed for the highest level of interoperability.

About LSPediA – Life Sciences Solutions

LSPediA is a leading supply chain software provider for the pharmaceutical industry. LSPediA’s serialization solution RxChain enables pharmaceutical manufacturers, wholesale distributors, dispensers to manage data, distribute products, and track inventory at the serialized level. LSPediA’s Verification Router Service enables authorized trading partners to authenticate serialized products, verify returns, and deter counterfeiting.

Find out more by calling (248) 973-2008, emailinginfo@lspedia.com or visiting us at www.lspedia.com.